NAVIGATION:          HOMEPAGE          WELCOME          CONCERT          QUOTES          CONCLUSION

Creating Ripples ... Making Waves

A Storytelling Concert About Transformation:
Choices, Compromises, Consequences, and Change

BIOGRAPHY

BARBARA LEOS
El Paso, TX
bleos@yisd.net

I was born, raised, and still live in sunny El Paso, Texas.  I share my life with my very spoiled dog and my family.  I am fortunate enough to live in the same town as my mother and youngest sister and so I get to see and spend time with them often.  I travel to see my two oldest sisters and their families.  My niece and nephews bring me immense amounts of joy and happiness!  I am currently a 4th grade teacher in the Ysleta Independent School District and enjoy working with the children from this amazing community.  I am also currently pursuing my Masters Degree and certification (online) through the University of North Texas.

M.S. Candidate in Library and Information Science
School of Library and Information Sciences
Denton, Texas

B.I.S. Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies
University of Texas at El Paso
Elementary Education

Storytelling has always been a part of my life but it has only been in the last 7 months that I have really understood that. I began talking at an early age and loved to entertain my family, especially my youngest sister, with my stories and tales about my life with my imaginary friends and also my daily routine once I started school. I would make elaborate sets and posters to announce my storytelling festivals and even became as bold as to try to charge my family an admission fee. I talked so much as a child that I used to get into a lot of trouble at school and so my mom became a permanent school volunteer just to be at the school since she was always getting calls from there anyway. I have been told I even talk in my sleep!

My storytelling journey started formally when I enrolled in my first storytelling class with Dr. Elizabeth Figa. For the last two semesters, I have been learning about the craft and trying to develop my own techniques as well as find the type of stories I love to tell. I have learned that I love stories that celebrate my heritage and Mexican-American upbringing. I am drawn to stories about the Southwest and the border area and also stories that make references to Spanish words. I love to hear and tell stories about brave people, especially women and children. Storytelling is an amazing way to connect with people (young and old) and so I value the craft and look forward to becoming more experienced!

I am very involved in my family, immediate and extended, and feel that they are my greatest sources for material. I love to probe and then sit back and listen. I also enjoy taking pictures of my family members because it helps me go back and remember a certain event or time I shared with them. My mother, sisters, brothers-in-law, and niece and nephews are my true loves and so often you will find me sitting back and observing and appreciating and then I just push right through and find some way to hog the spotlight!

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN
WRITING FROM PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS. PERMISSION DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.

All images and photographs used with permission.

This Website Developed by Elizabeth Figa, Ph.D.
Elizabeth Figa, 2007