STORYTELLER BIOGRAPHY

VIVIAN CISNEROS

Blanchard, OK

casabonita@aol.com

I am originally Canadian, with Austrian roots.  I have lived all over, including Montreal (Canada), Vienna (Austria), Mexico City (Mexico), Mississauga (Canada), and El Paso (Texas).  Having grown up multi-lingual and multi-cultural, I have always enjoyed learning about new places.  Since my family and friends are spread out all over the globe, we keep in touch by telling stories about our families, our activities, and the places where we live.

M.S. Candidate School of Library and Information Sciences
Denton, TX

Graduate Academic Certificate in Youth Services in Libraries and Information Settings
Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences
University of North Texas, Denton, TX

B.A. Spanish and French
University of Texas, El Paso
School of Liberal Arts

My interest in teaching and storytelling is somewhat of a surprise.  When I was in middle school I gave an oral presentation in front of the class, could not answer a simple question, and was utterly mortified.  I swore right then and there that I would never speak in front of people again.  Teaching and storytelling were thus at the bottom of my list of what I wanted to do in life.  Even so I fell into teaching English when I lived in Mexico, and found that I truly enjoyed it, despite having to talk in front of an audience.  I then became a Girl Scout leader, and realized that I really liked to work with children.  Now that I am a librarian, I find that the best way to get people interested in a book is to tell them about it so they will want to read it, too.  Some of my favorite stories are about books, because when I've read a wonderful book, I feel that I want to share it with everyone, and this is the best way to do that.

While I love to read and travel, my family is the most important thing to me, and they are a constant source of new stories for me.  They are wonderfully supportive of my new endeavors and their encouragement and love have helped me through many a rough spot along the road.