STORYTELLER BIOGRAPHY

KENDRA CREIGHTON

Bastrop, TX

I grew up in Watauga near Fort Worth, Texas and have lived in Texas all my life.  While attending Tarleton State University in Stephenville, Texas, I met and married Justin, my husband of fifteen years.  After graduating from Tarleton, I taught grades three, four, and five for eight years before becoming a certified librarian.  I have been the librarian at Cedar Creek Elementary in Bastrop I.S.D. in Cedar Creek, Texas for the past five years.  My three boys, Jesse (12 years), Jake (7 years), and Jett (3 years) keep me very busy.  Besides chasing children, I am currently working toward a Master’s Degree in Information Science through University of North Texas.  I plan to graduate in December 2003 with a Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling!  Yeehaw!

M.S. Candidate School of Library and Information Sciences
Denton, TX

B.S. in Elementary Education with Specializations in Reading and English
School of Education
Tarleton State University, Stephenville, Texas

I have always enjoyed reading.  From the time I learned to read, I have read anything and everything.  My favorites are fantasy and sci-fi.  I am also especially fascinated with folklore.  While in the classroom, I discovered I had a knack for finding the perfect resources and built a huge library of my own which I enjoyed sharing with other teachers and students.  The kids loved my stories.  It was only natural for me to become a librarian.  For years, I have read stories and I love using puppets and props with my audiences.  I just recently took the leap and began telling stories.  The more stories I read and retell, the more hooked on storytelling I become.  So far, I find that my favorite stories to tell are humorous since laughter is the best medicine for the soul!  The best feeling in the world for a storyteller is when you make that personal connection with your audience and know they are enjoying your story. 

I enjoy reading, scrap booking, drawing and gardening in my spare time.  I also enjoy collecting skeleton keys, old books, and antique doorknobs.  My children are active in 4-H and show animals in livestock shows, so we raise show quality sheep and goats.  I also want to learn to skydive and plan to “dive” in on that upon graduating from UNT!  (Sorry Justin, I probably have not broken that news to you yet!)