STORYTELLER BIOGRAPHY

MEG GOODNER
Mesquite, Texas
GoodnerMeg@aol.com

Not only am I from Texas, I am also from Mesquite, having lived there for all of my life.  I am from a teaching family, and growing up within the confines of the Mesquite education community was very similar to growing up in a very small town where everyone knew everyone else.  My sister and I knew that if we ever stepped out of line, several phone calls would have alerted our parents before we ever made it home!  My basketball coach fiancé and I both work for Mesquite schools and are currently building a house in … Mesquite My hobbies, in addition to storytelling, are scrapbooking and decorating.

M.S. Candidate School of Library and Information Sciences
Denton, TX

Graduate Academic Certificate In Youth Services in Libraries and Information Settings
University of North Texas, Denton, TX
Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences

School Library Certification
University of North Texas         2003

B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies
Texas A&M – Commerce        2000

I have always been interested in telling stories.  I grew up in a family of storytellers, but the ones that interested me the most were those of a personal nature, stories that actually involved a member of my family. 

According to family legend, a great, great, great, great grandmother held off a hostile attack north of Keller, Texas, in the middle of a March sleet storm, while her husband had gone to get supplies, leaving the children and herself “safe” in camp.  Of a more recent vintage, my grandfather was part of the first interrogation team for Lee Harvey Oswald.

In addition to family favorites, I also enjoy the fractured version of well-known fairy tales.  You will find several of these fractured fairy tales in our festival, including one I wrote myself, Beauty and the Beast – the Wild West Version

I became interested in formal storytelling while working on my degree in Library and Information Science, where I enrolled in both Storytelling and Advanced Storytelling.  I get ample opportunity to practice my wares with the twenty-two third graders with whom I spend my days.  I have found the world of storytelling to be a fascinating place!

My mother and both of my grandmothers were always ready to read to me as a young child, but my favorites were always the stories that my father’s mother would “tell” me rather than read to me.  I was raised on storytelling, and have continued to collect stories during my adult life.

In addition to collecting stories, I enjoy fairy tale books of all kinds.  I am also interested in stories about animals, especially dogs.  With my storytelling, third graders, books, house building, upcoming marriage, and our UNT Story Festival, I managed to stay occupied!