STORYTELLER BIOGRAPHY

NANCY LIMMER
Houston, TX
nancylimmer@katyisd.org

I moved from Akron, Ohio to Houston, Texas in 1995 and I’ve never looked back.  There’s an expression that fits me perfectly, “I wasn’t born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could!”  After moving to Houston, I began my career by teaching seventh grade Language Arts for four years.  After a change in school districts, I taught freshman English for an additional four years.  I had always loved books and information, so I decided upon a career in library sciences.  This has been my first year as a librarian and I have enjoyed every minute of it.    After taking my Masters degree through online courses, it seems only natural to find my husband that way so that’s what I did!  I share my life with my husband, Chris, and our four-legged baby, Juliet the Pug.  They have both been very supportive throughout  my graduate career. 

M.S. Candidate School of Library and Information Sciences
Denton, TX

Graduate Academic Certificate In Youth Services in Libraries and Information Settings
University of North Texas, Denton, TX
Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences

Bachelor of Science in English Education
College of Education
Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio

I became interesting in storytelling after taking my first storytelling class with Dr. Elizabeth Figa at the University of North Texas.  When the advanced class was made available, it seemed the right option to pursue my interests.  I have found that I really enjoy telling myths.  I enjoy exploring how the story connected to the people that believed in it, and what lessons or morals the culture was trying to express.  I particularly enjoy hero myths as I think they reveal much about the beliefs of the people who told them. 

One of my passions is for the protection of animals.  Before grad school and getting married, one of my favorite activities was volunteering at a local animal shelter.  It made me sad to see all the unwanted animals, but I was able to see many animals leave with happy, smiling families.  When I was ready for a dog, a shelter dog seemed a natural choice, but instead I chose another source for rescued animals: a breed rescue group.  That is how I found my dog, Juliet…or should I say that is how she found me.