STORYTELLER BIOGRAPHY

CHERYL MARTIN

Fort Worth, Texas

I am a native Texan, born and raised in the Fort Worth area. I currently work as an elementary school librarian in the Fort Worth Independent School District where I am completing my second year. Prior to this job, I spent fourteen years in the Mansfield Independent School District, ten years as a second grade teacher, then four years at an intermediate school teaching sixth grade math. I finished the requirements to earn my certification as a Learning Resources Specialist in May, 2002, and am nearing completion of my coursework for a Masterís degree in Library Science.

M.S. Candidate School of Library and Information Sciences
Denton, TX

Graduate Academic Certificate In Youth Services in Libraries and Information Settings
University of North Texas, Denton, TX
Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences

Bachelor of Arts
Dallas Baptist University
College of Education

I come from a family of storytellers; not paid professional performers, but regular individuals who just enjoy relating lifeís events and recalling times shared together strictly for the enjoyment of it. I became a voracious reader early in my childhood and developed a love for well-told stories in books. Making the leap to live storytelling seemed a natural progression for me based on my family background and my own love of experiencing stories in print. My favorite types of stories are those that not only make the audience laugh, but give the listeners something to think about. I like to tell stories that grab people emotionally, impacting the way that they view the world. If those stories involve humor or animals, thatís even better. In the fall of 2003, I enrolled in my first storytelling course and am presently enrolled in advanced storytelling. At the end of the spring semester, 2004, I will have earned a certificate in storytelling from the School of Library and Information Sciences at the University of North Texas.