STORYTELLER BIOGRAPHY

ANN MARIE NEEL
Jacksonville, Arkansas
mrsairneel@yahoo.com

I am from originally Kirbyville, Texas, which is a very small town in the piney woods of East Texas.  I am currently living in Jacksonville, Arkansas.  I am married to Jimmie Neel and have a young son named Trevor.  I have taught third and fourth grades for several years both in Texas and in Arkansas, although currently my job is to be a stay at home mom.  I love to read and tell stories to the children at church and to my son.  I have found that stories bring a unity to groups of people.

M.S. Candidate School of Library and Information Sciences
Denton, TX

Graduate Academic Certificate In Youth Services in Libraries and Information Settings
Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences
University of North Texas, Denton, TX

December 1998
Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies (Elementary Education)
Stephen F. Austin State University
Nacogdoches, Texas

I grew up with my mother telling and reading stories to me.  Stories became an important part of my life at an early age.  My main goals are to incorporate the love of story into my own children and any children that I teach or have in a library.  I enjoy telling children’s stories or those for the young at heart.  My favorite type of stories consists of those full of vibrant characters. I believe that stories are full of educational and recreational value.  I will continue to explore the value of story as I begin my career as a school librarian. The only venues I have told stories in are those of home, my classroom, my university classes, and my church. These venues are just a start to sharing the wonderful world of story.

I collect all kinds of teddy bears.  I started this hobby years ago when I was a small child.  Now between my home and my parent’s home I have accumulated many different types, shapes, and sizes of teddy bears.  I also collect children’s books.  I have always loved the simplicity, yet wonderful educational value of these books.  Now I spend the majority of my time in the children’s section of the bookstore.