STORYTELLER BIOGRAPHY

BOBBEE PENNINGTON
Bryan, Texas
bobbeepennington@netscape.net

I am originally from Michigan and immigrated to the country of Texas in 1998, when my husband, Jim, got his Ph.D. and was hired as a lecturer in Organic Chemistry at Texas A&M University. I also have a grown son, Justin, from my first marriage (who is married to a wonderful woman named Mercedes) and a sweet granddaughter, Destiney Lynn!  I am finishing my Masters degree in Library and Information Sciences at the University of North Texas and am doing storytelling locally with the Brazos Valley Storyteller's Guild.

M.S. Candidate School of Library and Information Sciences
Denton, TX

Graduate Academic Certificate In Youth Services in Libraries and Information Settings
University of North Texas, Denton, TX
Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences

Graduate Teaching Certificate in Reading Education
Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, Michigan
School of Education

B.A. Education
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
School of Education

From the time when I was little and used to read stories every night to my baby sister and later on to my little sonny boy, I loved telling stories.  When I was a pre-school teacher and telling stories like the  "Little Red Hen" using my pet rooster (who liked the attention), I knew that storytelling is what I love to do.  After taking a course in storytelling from Dr. Elizabeth Figa in 2003 as part of my graduate work in Library and Information Science at the University of North Texas, I realized that the concept of story goes far beyond the classroom or the library story hour, and extends itself into our daily lives. Now, as I get older, I want to pass on memories and dreams to my granddaughter and whoever else is interested in listening through the power of story. I like to tell autobiographical and historical biographical stories.  I also use simple folktales with repetitive language for preschoolers and young elementary students.  I use fairy tales with upper elementary students. I love to weave music in and out of my storytelling with guitar, banjo, and dulcimer.  I just hope to give to anyone who cares to listen a golden thread of thought to brighten their lives for a short time.

I spent part of my childhood (ages 8-16) in New York City. That's when I learned to love musical theatre. My mother used to work as an usher in Broadway theatres in New York City and I got to see so many Broadway musicals as a child, sitting on the steps in the balcony.