STORYTELLER BIOGRAPHY

AMI JEAN USELMAN
Round Rock, Texas
ami_uselman@roundrockisd.org

I grew up on a farm in southern Minnesota. After graduating from college I took a teaching job in the Rio Grande Valley of south Texas. My husband Jeff and I live in Round Rock, Texas and are enjoying all the Austin area has to offer. I was a classroom teacher for thirteen years with experience in grades K-4th grade. This year I took a position as an elementary librarian and I love every minute of it!

M.S. Candidate School of Library and Information Sciences
Denton, TX

B.S. Education
Moorhead State University, Moorhead, MN

Story telling is a part of my every day life; I love to hear personal stories of others as well as sharing my own. As a teacher Iíve shared countless stories with my students. After taking a beginning storytelling class in graduate school my interest in story telling grew. I discovered the benefits of not only telling stories but teaching my students to be storytellers as well.

I enjoy telling folktales and other favorite stories from my childhood, especially ones that were told to me. I already feel comfortable with many of these stories; they are a part of me. I love fractured fairy tales. Itís fun to add a new twist on old favorites.

In the future Iíd like to add a diverse sample of traditional folk and fairy tales from around the globe to my repertoire. I would also like to develop some personal family stories. Growing up with two mischievous little brothers and a quick-witted big sister provides a plethora of sources for storytelling.