STORYTELLER BIOGRAPHY

PAMELA WEST
Euless, Texas
Joy4you@email.com

I was born in Arizona while my dad was in the air force. We only lived there three months before my dad was discharged and we came back “home” to Texas. Both of my parents grew up in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and I have lived here basically my entire life. I am married to a wonderful man, Stephen, who spent most of his growing up years overseas. We have two children and one more on the way. At the current time, I stay home with our children. I hope to stay home while they are young and then pursue my own career dreams.

M.S. Candidate School of Library and Information Sciences

Denton, TX

B.S. Elementary Education

Oklahoma Baptist University

Shawnee, OK

I have always loved performing and telling stories. When I was little, my sister and I would put on “Programs” for our entire family. I would plan out the whole thing and give Tami her parts. I had my first “speaking role” in church at age 8. When I was in Junior High I found my niche in speech class and then in high school it was drama. I have always loved performing. I also love children’s books. I begin to fall in love with children’s literature when my high school English teacher would read us picture books from time to time to make a point in class. In college my favorite professor taught a reading methods class, but it was more like a literature class. She would bring in the best children’s literature and read it to us and show us how to use it with our classes. It was awesome. I hope to follow in her footsteps one day.

Before I was married I was able to spend about 18 months living in Seattle. It was far cry from my Dallas suburb, but I loved it. During that time, I meet so many different people that all had a different story to share. It was awesome. It was there that I began to realize how many different stories there were. Before that time I had always thought of stories as something you use with children. Now I realize that they are a part of everyday life and the world around us.

In my adult life I have become fascinated with stories of JOY. There is so much sadness in the world and so many things that weight heavy on the heart; however, we all know people that seem to have an abundant joy. I have become extremely curious in their stories and where their job comes from. It often comes from within, some experience that they have had…some perspective altering time. It is a wonderful thing.

My other big interest is scrapbooking, which relates to storytelling in a way. It is telling your families stories. It is my way of preserving our heritage and allowing our stories to be passed on from generation to generation. Every picture has a story attached to it and it is wonderful to look at those pictures and relive that story. I hope that my children are able to pass these stories along to their children and so on.