Navigation:    Index    Welcome    Concert    Reflections    Farewell

Storyteller Biography
Esther Mortensen

Ashland, OR

INTRODUCTION INFORMATION

My family and I have lived in Oregon for a little over six years, before that we had the opportunity of living in all of the four corner states. We lived in New Mexico and Arizona for many years while I worked as a librarian on or near the Navajo Reservation. We also lived in the mountains of Colorado.  All the places we have lived have been extremely beautiful, whether the geography consisted of red rocks, snowy mountains, or flowering trees.  All of the areas were rich in Western and Native American culture.  I have gathered many personal and cultural stories from the interesting places I have lived.  Currently, I live in Ashland, Oregon where I work as the teen librarian.  Ashland is rich in cultural heritage, as well.  It is one of the top small art towns in America and the home of the Oregon Shakespeare festival.

EDUCATION BACKGROUND

M.S. Candidate, School of Library and Information Sciences

Candidate, Graduate Academic Certificate in Youth Services

Candidate, Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling

Denton, Texas

B.A. Art

B.A. Psychology

Thomas Edison State College

Trenton, New Jersey

I love stories of every kind.  I have been telling stories for as long as I can remember.  All of my life, stories have been a part of my everyday communication.  Mostly, they have come from my own personal experience.  Some people have commented that I should write a book. When I start telling a story, usually they will not let me quit.  They want to hear another one.  I guess my life has been a little unusual.  Most people these days have not lived in a one-room house with six children without running water or electricity.  Our family has done it, twice.  Living without modern convenience creates many interesting stories.  Besides loving any kind of biographical story, which to me borders on personal myth, I love multicultural stories from around the world.  I also have a particular fondness for fractured fairy tales and urban legends.

My personal interests are in the areas of Humanistic and Jungian psychology.  I love to study comparative religions and cultures.  I also have a deep passion for universal symbols and myths.  I love researching, writing, music, and creative expression of every kind.  I am a visual and performing artist.  I paint and sculpt, and I am a singer and musician.  I also love to perform ballroom and folk dancing. 

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.

ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN
WRITING FROM PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS. PERMISSION DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.

All images and photograph originals are used with permission.

This Website Developed by Elizabeth Figa, Ph.D.

Copyright:  Elizabeth Figa, 2008