JOURNEY TALES:        HOMEPAGE        WELCOME        CONCERT        FUNSTUFF        CONCLUSION

JACQUI BARTHA
THEN
NOW

Vancouver, Canada

I was born in Houston, TX.  After an attempt at becoming a Cloistered Nun, I attended Herman Hospital School of Vocational Nursing.  After graduation I worked in pediatrics, the prison system, and home health pediatrics.  I have done some writing for The Journal of Nursing Jocularity, an article for Woman’s World Magazine and a chapter in Tending Lives:  Nurses on the Medical Front with Echo Heron.  While still in Texas I married a Texas Department of Corrections Officer and moved to Raleigh, NC; later we moved to Monroe, WA—as in Washington State.  I returned to college for a Certificate in Library Technology after I ended my marriage and left nursing.  I moved to Bellingham, WA and earned a degree in Library Science and Holocaust Studies, with the assistance of Dr. Daniel Larner who helped me design many of the Independent Study classes I took in Holocaust Studies, and Rob Lopresti MLS, who has been a mentor and advisor.  I am married to a Canadian citizen; I have no children but I do have a collie I am crazy about.  My goal is to be a children’s librarian in a public library.

M.S. candidate in Library and Information Science
Candidate Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling
Candidate Graduate Academic Certificate in Youth Services
Denton, Texas

B.A. Liberal Arts Multidisciplinary Concentration:
Library Science and Holocaust Studies

Western Washington University
Bellingham, WA. 

Certificate Library Technology and Information Systems
Lake Washington Technical College
Kirkland, WA.

I had always enjoyed the performing arts: duet and dramatic acting, prose and poetry reading—I lettered, when I attended South Houston High School, in Speech.  As well as competing in speech tournaments I also performed in plays while I was in Junior High, High School and Junior College.  But it was at WWU that I first discovered Storytelling as a discipline.  I really have always told stories but I just never gave it much thought or credit.  Telling an interesting story, or making people laugh, was a way of getting out of trouble when I was young and of distracting my patients when I was a nurse.  But at WWU I could take a class and hone my skills.  I found that I simply fell in love with storytelling!  The adoration was confirmed when I took Advanced Storytelling and met storyteller David Novak as a part of a Tellebration.  When I saw that UNT offered the opportunity to continue my study of storytelling, I was elated.  The offer of a GAC in Storytelling and the gift of having Dr. Elizabeth Figa as my mentor, storytelling coach, and my academic advisor sealed the deal when I was choosing a graduate school; indeed, I only applied to UNT.   

I prefer to tell to adults, as I don’t think adults get the stories they need.  I prefer to tell original stories; although I do enjoy urban legends and ethnic tales. 

I am a member of the Bellingham Storyteller’s Guild and the Vancouver Society of Storytellers and have taken part in storytellings held by both groups.  I have hosted and attended Home Concerts.  I have told at Elementary Schools, secondary schools, a Holocaust Remembrance ceremony, at a museum, and at coffee houses.         

In the future, I demand of myself that I will improve my storytelling skills with children, while also taking advantage of opportunities to tell to adults. 

I love to read, not a surprise since I am studying to be a librarian!  I love children and respect their openness and resiliency.  I love to cook/bake and collect recipes.  I love dogs, especially collies—I have owned at least one all of my adult life.  I also, for reasons I am not sure about, collect nun dolls!