JOURNEY TALES:        HOMEPAGE        WELCOME        CONCERT        FUNSTUFF        CONCLUSION

KIMBERLY CLUTTER

Denton, TX
kimberweeme@gmail.com

Hi!  Born and raised in Texas (aside from that brief period in the backwoods of Kentucky and the suburbs of Chicago) I should probably say howdy, but since I have always considered myself a city girl, I’ll let it slide!  In May 2005 I graduated from Texas A&M University (Whoop!) with a degree in English.  I am currently living in Denton, Texas and attending the University of North Texas.  I hope to graduate in December 2006 with an M.S. in Library and Information Science, specifically focusing on Youth Librarianship.  My family, consisting of my enormously supportive parents and my three hilarious younger brothers, lives in Houston, Texas along with a slightly neurotic beagle and two temperamental Siamese cats.  Naturally, I visit as often as I can – that is, as often as homework and a hectic social life allow!

M.S. candidate in Library and Information Science
Candidate Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling
Candidate Graduate Academic Certificate in Youth Services
Denton, Texas

B.A. English
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas
Phi Beta Kappa

I would say that I was a born storyteller from the time I first addressed my favorite stuffed animal, “Bear,” but I don’t like to fib.  The oldest grandchild on my mother’s side, I received quite a bit of attention.  I talked a lot, just like the majority of children who know that everything they have to say is of the utmost importance, but I also listened to my parents and other adults.  For a few months when I was young, my family lived with my grandparents, my Mom’s parents.  Both were full of interesting stories of life during the Great Depression and World War II.  Some were tales of sorrow, most were tales of humor.  I can distinctly remember my Grandpa, a distinguished college professor, telling me the story of “The Little Match Girl” every night before bed.  I can still hear him telling me that melancholy tale and remember the message of hope. 

My father’s family, my grandparents and aunts and uncles, are a different matter.  They are all born family historians, each with a different view of past family events!  Each evening during family vacations to Grandpa and Grandma’s house would end with an impromptu storytelling session.  Stories from my Dad’s childhood would be trotted out, as well as those of relatives I only know through these storytelling sessions.  Things always started out calmly enough, but they never ended that way!  It never failed that another family member would break in with a disagreement on the details – “No, no!  I clearly remember that I was ten at the time, not eight!”  Of course, the relative telling the story was always absolutely certain that they had the timing right, just as the rest of the family was absolutely certain that they had it all wrong.  The playful arguments that resulted were particularly hilarious to those of us who were not present at the actual event.  I have always had the sneaking suspicion that they just liked the banter! 

With a strong storytelling background on both sides of my remarkable family, I didn’t stand a chance.  My love for stories, particularly family stories, was nurtured and fed all through my childhood and finally began to blossom during college.  When I began work in the Library Science program at UNT, I realized that storytelling was a unique and influential way to preserve the multitude of family stories that I have grown to love over the years.  Only when we hear the words spoken by someone with a deep respect for those who have gone before will we develop our own admiration and love for those ancestors.   

When I am not slaving away on the latest school assignment (or even when I am) I have many hobbies.  My favored methods of procrastination include driving the five hours home to visit my brilliant family, reading as many books as I can get my hands on, watching old movies and the latest box office hits, baking (not cooking!), watching CSI and other crime shows, and playing hard fought board games with my amazing group of friends.  No matter what the activity, I always keep a vigilant watch for the slightest odd occurrence.  You never can tell when a story worthy oddity will cross your path!