JOURNEY TALES:        HOMEPAGE        WELCOME        CONCERT        FUNSTUFF        CONCLUSION

MELANIE MASON

Arlington, TX

mmm956@comcast.net

My mother’s family is from the Arkansas Ozarks and my father’s family is from middle Louisiana. Consequently I’ve been around people who are well versed in oral traditions all my life. I currently live in Arlington, TX and teach at the University of Texas At Arlington. My husband, who is also an educator, and I have been married for 15 years. When I’m not teaching, I work as an actor, director, voiceover artist and production coordinator with Metroplex theaters and cartoon, video, industrial and film producers.

M.S. candidate in Library and Information Science
Candidate Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling
Denton, Texas

B.F.A. Theatre Performance
University of Texas At Arlington

Arlington, TX

A.A. Speech and Theatre

Tyler Junior College

Tyler, TX

I have always loved a good story. My mother and father, grandmothers and aunt have regaled me since I was tiny with cautionary tales, bedtime stories and family histories. But, believe it or not, when I was little, I told my stories from behind the couch where no one could see me!

When sophomore English class rolled around and it was necessary that I stand IN FRONT of an audience to present papers, I sought courage in a Speech and Theatre class and found my bliss! Since then stories, others’ and my own, have been my constant companions.

My foray into Dr. Figa’s Graduate level storytelling classes has served to open yet another doorway -- one that I happily walk through to pursue my love of sharing with an audience.

“I could tell she had repeated those opening lines a thousand times, that she was saying them the exact way she’d heard them coming from the lips of some old woman, who’d heard them from the lips of an even older one, the way they came out like a song, with rhythms that rocked us to and fro until we left the premises…” from The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.