NAVIGATION:          HOMEPAGE          WELCOME          CONCERT           FUNSTUFF           FEEDBACK

Stories and Songs Around the Campfire

Storyteller Biography  

Amy Alanis

Plano, Texas
amy_alanis@yahoo.com

I was born in Tyler, Texas, and grew up in Frankston, Texas, a very, very small town located 25 miles south of Tyler. I am married to Gabriel Alanís. Gabriel is from Mexico. We have visited his hometown of Monterrey many times and traveled around Mexico which has shown me a side which is rarely found in books and documentaries. The ideas for most of my stories come from family members, many of which are great storytellers.

M.S. Library Science
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
Candidate for graduation: May 2005
Graduate School of Library and Information Science

B.S. Family and Consumer Science
Major: Nutrition and Foods
Texas State University, San Marcos, Texas
Department of Family and Consumer Sciences
College of Applied Arts

Certifications:
Texas Teacher Certification in Special Education
Texas School Librarian Certification

Much of my inspiration for telling stories comes from listening to stories told by my great-grandmother, Lois Reynolds, who told vibrant, exciting family stories. Her storytelling style made an eight year old girl very excited to learn about the family’s history.

Years later, while studying a Master’s in Library Science, I noticed a class called Beginning Storytelling, taught by Dr. Elizabeth Figa, and signed up. It was challenging, however, rewarding because of the freedom of creativity and expression. My favorite stories to tell are true, historical family stories. I also enjoy telling ghost stories.

I recently added music to my storytelling and take guitar lessons. I have also taken voice and piano lessons over the last few years. I’m working on becoming better at including music in my storytelling performances.

To view the storytelling concert performance videos, download FREE RealPlayer:
http://www.realone.com/realplayer.html

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN WRITING FROM
PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS AS STATED IN THE VIDEOS AND ALL DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2005