NAVIGATION:          HOMEPAGE          WELCOME          CONCERT           FUNSTUFF           FEEDBACK

Stories and Songs Around the Campfire

Storyteller Biography  

Deban Becker

Austin, Texas
deban_becker@yahoo.com

I am originally from Houston, Texas.  I share my life with my husband of four years, Jeff Becker.  We like to travel and make many visits to Houston to see our families and play with our three nieces and nephew.  I am a full-time student in the School of Library and Information Sciences at the University of North Texas, graduating in May 2005. I also work part-time as a Library Intern for the Georgetown Public Library. My love for my family, friends, traveling, and reading inspire my stories and memories. 

M.S. Library and Information Science (In Progress)
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
Graduate School of Library and Information Science

Graduate Academic Certificate in Youth Services in Libraries and Information Settings

B.A. English
Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
College of Liberal Arts

I did not talk until I was three years old.  Due to being the “baby” of the family, I was able to “point” and my older siblings would attend to my needs.  Thus I did not feel the need to speak, but since I was three years old and had not spoken a word, my parents were concerned that I might be deaf.  It is told to me that when I heard about going to the doctor, I sensed something was wrong because I began to speak, not in words, but in full sentences!  Since then, my parents say that I am making up for “lost time” and I haven’t stopped talking yet!   When I was younger, I was involved in a musical theatre school and I performed quite enthusiastically in musical plays such as, “Mary Poppins”, “Lil’ Abner”, and “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat”.  I also became active in the Girl Scout movement and I absolutely loved being a song leader at the “Singing Trees” at camp. 

I became seriously interested in storytelling in my graduate school studies and as I became interested in offering programs for youth.  I enrolled and finished the SLIS 5440 Beginning Storytelling course and I am currently enrolled in the SLIS 5611 Advanced Storytelling course in the School of Library and Information Sciences at the University of North Texas.  My favorite stories to tell are historical stories, humorous stories, love stories, musical stories, and personal narratives, known by my friends as “Deban Mishaps”.

I love to see a rainbow reflected from a beautiful waterfall or watch a glorious morning sunrise… I guess that’s why I love the outdoors and camping.  I am a “happy camper” and I have camped all over the country—from the coasts of Maine to the Rocky Mountains to the island of Maui.  My love of camping was instilled in me by my parents (my first camping trip was in the womb).  My dad and I have a running contest to see who can visit the most National Parks in the U.S.  I went to the Haleakala National Park on Maui during my honeymoon and now, my parents are going this year for their 30th anniversary…I like to remind them that I saw it first!   

To view the storytelling concert performance videos, download FREE RealPlayer:
http://www.realone.com/realplayer.html

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN WRITING FROM
PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS AS STATED IN THE VIDEOS AND ALL DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2005