NAVIGATION:          HOMEPAGE          WELCOME          CONCERT           FUNSTUFF           FEEDBACK

Stories and Songs Around the Campfire

Storyteller Biography  

Alma N. Chavarria

Houston, TX 77009
alnora1227@yahoo.com

I hail from Laredo, Texas, a city on the Texas/Mexican border. I am the oldest of six children and have lived in the Houston area for fourteen years, ever since I traveled to The University of Houstonís Central Campus to study art. I met my partner there, at the senior dorms and, aside from a two year hiatus, have never left. I like my city a great deal.

I have been an artist, a teacher, and a storyteller in that order. Right now I believe Iím doing all three. I have been a library assistant with the Houston Public Library System for two and a half years and get to draw, tell stories, and help kids all at the same place! This really works for me.

When I am not studying for my courses my interests revolve mostly around media and literature. I read voraciously, watch movies, television, read online fiction, and write fiction. I also spend time conversing with my friends online. I talk to people all over the fifty states as well as Sweden, England, Australia and Asia!

M.S. Library and Information Science
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
Candidate for graduation
Graduate School of Library and Information Science

In addition to completing a Graduate Academic Certificate in Youth Services from the University of North Texas and studying for my Masters at UNT I have a Bachelors of Fine Arts from the University of Houston and a varied and interesting career at a couple of community colleges before then. 

My storytelling career actually began when I was a child and would entertain my sisters with elaborate stories about ourselves and our favorite rock idols. Our parents insisted on an early bedtime and with the three of us crammed in one small room I would spin my tales until we got sleepy. I moved on to writing down my Ďstoriesí and had already been addicted to storytelling through my love of books, which my dad unknowingly fostered by his love of pulp fiction and spy novels which he left everywhere for my twelve year old self to explore. The kind of stories I like to tell these days has evolved but I find myself drawn to pourqoi tales and tales with repetition. These are always a hit with the kids!  

It seems storytelling has been in my life forever through the novels I read, the television shows I saw, and the movies that fascinated me. Now, though, I am the one weaving the tales.

To view the storytelling concert performance videos, download FREE RealPlayer:
http://www.realone.com/realplayer.html

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN WRITING FROM
PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS AS STATED IN THE VIDEOS AND ALL DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2005