NAVIGATION:          HOMEPAGE          WELCOME          CONCERT           FUNSTUFF           FEEDBACK

Stories and Songs Around the Campfire

Storyteller Biography  

Leticia Correa
 Chicpea48@msn.com

I was born and raised in McAllen, Texas along with my five sisters and three brothers.  I have been married for twenty-eight years and have a twenty-two year old son and a nineteen year old daughter who are both in college. I have been an educator for the last twenty-five years teaching language arts at the junior high level for most of those years.  Currently, and for the last three years I have been an elementary librarian in the very small town of La Feria and I thoroughly enjoy it.

M.S. Library and Information Science
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
Candidate for graduation
Graduate School of Library and Information Science

Youth Services in Libraries and Information Settings Graduate Academic Certificate from the University of North Texas,  currently enrolled in the MLIS graduate program at the University of North Texas  

Bachelor of Science in Elementary Ed. (K-8), Physical Ed. (K-12), English as a Second Language (6-12), Reading Specialist Certificate (K-12), from UT Pan American in Edinburg, Texas

My interest in storytelling goes back to my childhood days when I would hear my dad and my godfather tell wonderful stories that would always make me laugh.  There were also many other family members that would keep us very entertained.  It is very clear in my mind because the adults would tell us, “Go ask your mother, father, (or whoever was around) to get you some “tente.”  This was their way of getting us out of their hair for a while and the other person would have to give us “tente” which meant to entertain us in some way which was usually with some kind of story.

My sewing has also spurred some of my storytelling in that I knit or crotchet baby blankets for my children that prompt stories about events that occurred while I was sewing the blankets for them.  The blankets also bring about stories of their lives as they were growing up that they also love to hear over and over.  I also sew, knit, or crochet scarves and quilts for my sisters for our yearly sister trip when we exchange names and give each other a present. My sisters end up quarreling about whom gets to draw my name because they all want a specially sewed item that I will be sewing for the sister’s name that I draw.  Each one still gets a sewn item after our trip; I usually sew them something a little different, but give it to them after the exchange.  All of these sewn items create more stories for us as well as serve as reminders of stories from our childhood.

I’m also very interested in storytelling since I took Storytelling #5440 with Dr. E. Figa from the University of North Texas.  Since then, I have enjoyed telling my students and others, stories that I enjoy and I know they do too.  My choice of stories are those that involve humor and those that allow me to add a little bit of my Hispanic culture. 

My hobbies include reading, sewing, knitting, crocheting, and going riding with my husband in his Harley Davidson motorcycle as often as I can.  I am also a member of The Rio Grande Valley Aggie Mom’s Club that is a nonprofit organization that meets monthly to support our Aggie students with scholarships and more by making crafts that we sell at Parents’ Week during April.  I also like to swim as often as I can and walk at least four days out of the week for about an hour. I also like to go with my family to Guadalajara, Mexico because it is so beautiful there and the relatives and the people  are so special.  I especially like Guadalajara because they have all kinds of fruit and the food is so delicious that I don’t want to come back home.   What makes it so much more special is that getting there and coming back home we create memories that are later stories that we can reminisce about when we get together and with other family members.

To view the storytelling concert performance videos, download FREE RealPlayer:
http://www.realone.com/realplayer.html

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN WRITING FROM
PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS AS STATED IN THE VIDEOS AND ALL DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2005