NAVIGATION:          HOMEPAGE          WELCOME          CONCERT           FUNSTUFF           FEEDBACK

Stories and Songs Around the Campfire

Storyteller Biography  

Bradley Debrick

debrickb@yahoo.com

I grew up in and around small farming towns in eastern Kansas and moved to Overland Park (a suburb of Kansas City) in 1996.  In my current position as a youth information specialist for the Johnson County Library, I provide storytimes for preschoolers, homework help and reader services to school-age children and teens, and outreach programs to schools and daycares.  I am currently pursuing a graduate degree in library science from the University of North Texas.

M.S. Library Science
University of North Texas, Denton, TX
Program of Study: Youth Librarianship
Graduate Academic Certificates: Storytelling and Youth Services
(anticipated graduation date: December 2005)

B.S. Elementary Education
Emporia State University, Emporia, KS
Natural Science & Language Arts concentrations

I was first bitten by the performance bug in 2nd grade when I was chosen to be the narrator of our school Christmas play.  A gymnasium filled with people relying on me to get the story.  I firmly believe it was that Christmas play that foreshadowed my storytelling future.  High school and college drama was the first organized environment for storytelling in which I had participated.  Afterwards I began to explore the realm of storytelling possibilities.

Through my job, I have told stories at libraries and schools; at conferences and festivals.  I have a particular fondness for American folktales especially regional tales of the Midwest and the Ozark Mountains.  I also enjoy stories that rely on music and audience participation to tell the tale.  I tell stories to illustrate points, enliven uninspiring topics, and entertain the masses.

In addition to receiving a M.S. in Library Science in December 2005, I will also receive a graduate academic certificate in storytelling.  To satisfy requirements for this certificate, I have completed courses titled “Storytelling for the Information Professional” and “Advanced Storytelling.”  These classes broadened my understanding about the power of stories, story research, methods of performance, and performance preparation.  I have attended workshops lead by puppeteer and author Judy Nichols and nationally known storyteller Beth Horner.  I have also been a regular participant at the annual Storytelling Celebration events in Kansas City.

I own an odd assortment of musical instruments some of which I can actually play.  My favorite is an antique student-sized accordion I picked up at an auction several years ago.  I also play the trumpet and autoharp which I have successfully used in storytime and storytelling programs.  I have years of training in vocal music and have an intense interest in stage acting.

In addition to music, my hobbies include gardening, home improvement projects, thrift stores, and travel.  I have a new found love of cruise ship vacations and am always on a countdown to my next sailing.  I also spend a great deal of time dusting my glass & ceramic cookie jar collection.

To view the storytelling concert performance videos, download FREE RealPlayer:
http://www.realone.com/realplayer.html

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN WRITING FROM
PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS AS STATED IN THE VIDEOS AND ALL DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2005