NAVIGATION:          HOMEPAGE          WELCOME          CONCERT           FUNSTUFF           FEEDBACK

Stories and Songs Around the Campfire

Storyteller Biography  

Matt Morrison

Arlington, TX
starmanmatt@yahoo.com

I am a typical Gemini; a jack-of-all-trades who practices more hobbies than he truly has time for.  The one thing all my interests have ever had in common is that they involved sending information in some fashion or form to entertain people.  In short, telling stories.  I'm currently employed as a salesman for a local comic-book and games shop.  I am insanely devoted to my girlfriend Sierra, who is the earthy anchor that keeps me grounded even as I pull her into the stars.

M.S. Library and Information Science
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
Candidate for graduation
Graduate School of Library and Information Science

B.F.A. Theater Arts
University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas
School of Theater Arts
Focus: Theater Arts Performance
Minor: Information Technologies

I've always been a performer, doing impressions of cartoon characters and acting out shows I had seen for my parents.  I spent most of my fifth year of life impersonating the local weather man and sketching up five-day forecasts of my own, reading them off to my dad before he left for work.  Despite this, I was shy around other children and it wasn't until high-school that I was able to develop the ability to perform in public without feeling silly.  I participated in UIL Speech events and did my first play my junior year.  As I overcame my shyness, I buried myself in books and read a lot.

I started to find myself in college, starting out as a major of psychology but quickly finding my way into the theater.  It was here that I began to build my skills as a performer as well as increased my personal storehouse of stories.

My favorite stories are those which have a strong background in myth and legend.  I have a particular fondness for the stories and songs of Ireland and Scotland, being of Scot/Irish heritage.   Because of my own natural talent as a comedian, I'm also fond of any stories involving a funny ending.  As such, I have a strong attraction to Trickster tales and any tale of heroes who win because of their wits as opposed to brute strength.  

Most of my interests spun out of my early college years.  My interest in all things medieval led to my attending a Renaissance Festival and becoming a seasonal regular at Scarborough Faire.  I hope someday to become skilled enough a storyteller that I may perform there professionally. 

I collect comic books, a hobby which spun out of curiosity as my librarian mother kept me away from such "low" literature as a child.  I have since then gone on to become a recognized expert upon the history of several characters and have written a number of articles upon the links between modern superheroes and the heroes of classical mythology.

I write a regular weekly column for The Comics Nexus; a web periodical devoted to graphic novel periodicals.  I have also written several plays and short stories, and had one produced for a Reader's Theater performance at the University of Texas at Arlington.  I am currently working on a comedy based upon my relationship with my girlfriend. 

I am one of the elder statesmen of Los Bastardos; a theater troupe dedicated to performing The Rocky Horror Picture Show that in Fort Worth.  At the time of this writing, I am also the acting advertising director of the troupe and am in charge of getting our name in the papers and overseeing the circulation of flyers.  Occasionally, I take time off from Rocky to perform in other shows and I have appeared in several short films. 

To view the storytelling concert performance videos, download FREE RealPlayer:
http://www.realone.com/realplayer.html

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN WRITING FROM
PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS AS STATED IN THE VIDEOS AND ALL DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.
Elizabeth Figa, 2005