NAVIGATION:          HOMEPAGE          WELCOME          CONCERT           FUNSTUFF           FEEDBACK

Stories and Songs Around the Campfire

Storyteller Biography  

Celia Muniz

Harlingen, TX 78550
celiam@harlingen.isd.tenet.edu

I have been married for the last 15 years to a man that loves to play golf.  We both share two wonderful boys ages 9 and 11 years old.  All my life I have been very fortunate to live in Harlingen where, I have my parents, aunts, sisters and relatives living near by. I received my education degree in Southwest Texas State University and my library science certificate in University of North Texas.  I taught for 16 years and this will be my second year as a high school librarian. I loved being a teacher but being a librarian has to be the best job I ever had.

M.S. Library and Information Science
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
Candidate for graduation
Graduate School of Library and Information Science

B.S. In Education
Southwest Texas State University
Major: Elementary Education
Minor: History

Library Science Certification
Learning Resources Specialist

Graduate Academic Certificate
Youth Services in Libraries and Information Settings

I remember as a young child either setting outside or in the kitchen hearing my aunts tell stories of their childhood experiences.  Many of their stories involved their travels as migrant workers.  As many times as my aunts told their stories they always seem new and just as interesting as the first time I heard them.  As a mother I began to tell the same stories to my children.  I hope that in time they will cherish them as much as I do.  Ever since I took my first storytelling class I became interested in finding stories that I could tell my class.  I realize there is a real difference when a story is read from a book to actually telling it.  It seems like the audience has a stronger connection towards the teller when youíre able to tell the story orally. 

Since taking my first storytelling class I realize how important it is to preserve my own personal stories.  Itís up to me to make sure my children know about their past by recording or writing down stories about our familyís history.

As a history major I have always loved stories of the past.   I love to collect old books, furniture and knick knacks because I believe they have a story to tell.  I feel this is why I am such a pack rat and love to buy them.  My husband canít understand why I refuse to get rid of my sonís baby clothes, first toy or other baby items.  I love the idea that when I look at the items it takes me back to special events in their life like their baptismal, 1st birthday and etc. Itís amazing that so many things like music, a place, and items can take you back to important event in your life. 

To view the storytelling concert performance videos, download FREE RealPlayer:
http://www.realone.com/realplayer.html

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN WRITING FROM
PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS AS STATED IN THE VIDEOS AND ALL DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2005