NAVIGATION:          HOMEPAGE          WELCOME          CONCERT           FUNSTUFF           FEEDBACK

Stories and Songs Around the Campfire

Storyteller Biography  

San Juanita Gallego De Reyes

Laredo, TX
Colibrí_gallego@hotmail.com

INTRODUCTION INFORMATION

My name is Janie Reyes (nee, San Juanita Gallego) and I was born in Corpus Christi, Texas but have lived most of my life in Laredo. I was raised with five other sisters and my parents. When my parents got divorced, my mother took us to live in Brownsville, Texas.  In 1971, before moving to Brownsville, my parents sent me to live in a Catholic boarding school in the state of Zacatecas, in the interior of Mexico, for about six months. I have been married to Luis Miguel Reyes for almost twenty five years and have three children; Jacqueline Haydee, Cristina Jeannette, and Juan Carlos. I have worked as a teacher for almost fifteen years, three of which I worked as a librarian at Farias Elementary.  I am currently working as a third grade teacher at Farias Elementary while I pursue my masters as a librarian.

M.S. Library and Information Science
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
Candidate for graduation
Graduate School of Library and Information Science

Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies
Laredo State University
Certified in:  Bilingual and Gifted and Talented

Both my grandmother and mother were storytellers.  As a child, my mother introduced me to fairytales, ghost and folk stories. My mother inspired me to become a storyteller and I passed those same stories to my children and tell them to my students. 

I love to read and interpret stories, but my main passion is to hear people tell their stories and I retell and interpret them my way.  I like to see the children’s facial expression change as I tell a story.

Another interpretation of storytelling is ghost stories. Living in the south, I have been exposed to legends and ghosts stories. Those stories have been a part of my life ever since I can recall.  In both sides of my family, they have the ability to see ghost and in a way, those ghost stories have become family legends that have been told and retold and passed down the family line. 

I am my family’s pack rat and historian.  I collect old family pictures, old family documents, antique family furniture heirlooms and family legends. I have in my collection letters that my grandfather wrote to my grandmother during WWII. My passion for old furniture is to restore it to its original state.

My collection also includes anything that has hummingbirds on it and my children’s story book collection has grown quite extensively.    

To view the storytelling concert performance videos, download FREE RealPlayer:
http://www.realone.com/realplayer.html

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN WRITING FROM
PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS AS STATED IN THE VIDEOS AND ALL DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2005