NAVIGATION:          HOMEPAGE          WELCOME          CONCERT           FUNSTUFF           FEEDBACK

Stories and Songs Around the Campfire

Storyteller Biography  

Eric L. Terry

Wichita Falls, TX
eric.terry@wfpl.ne

I was born and raised in Wichita Falls, TX.  I have lived in the Wichita Falls area most of my life, except for two years which were spent in living in Alamogordo, NM. I have been married to a wonderful woman, Allison, for the past 12-1/2 years. I have one bright beautiful daughter who is 9 years old and one fantastically fun son who is 5 years old. I have been the Youth Services Librarian for the Wichita Falls Public Library for the past two years and Iím currently a student in the University of North Texas School of Library and Information Science mastersí degree program.

In process of attaining M.S. Library and Information Science in Youth Librarianship
In process of attaining Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling
University of North Texas, Denton, TX
Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Anticipated Graduation Date: May 14, 2005

Bachelors of Applied Arts and Sciences
Midwestern State University, Wichita Falls, TX

Storytelling is something that has been passed down from generation to generation in my family. As a child, I loved to listen to the varying stories that my relative would tell-like my great, great aunt who would tell stories about when she was a little girl in the early 1890ís. As I grew older, my love of storytelling grew as I realized the importance of storytelling in my culture. Storytelling transcends all boundaries including, but not limited to age, cultures, race, and social upbringing. As a youth librarian, I have included storytelling in many of my weekly story times. I have received awesome responses from children and parents who really enjoyed the storytelling. I hope to continue to grow storytelling skills throughout my entire life because I believe that there is always something that can be learned from the different storytellers around the world. I am very interested in all the wonderful forms of storytelling and I hope to inspire possible future storytellers through my storytelling.

At a young age I was introduced to three things which became life long friends-books, movies, and comic books. I had two great aunts, both retired school teachers, who lived together after their respective spouses had died. These two great aunts instilled into me a love for books at a very young age by reading to me for hours on end. These great aunts made sure that I knew the importance of reading for educational and recreational purposes. I have to credit my love affair with movies to my Dad. My Dad and Mom divorced each other when I was five years old and one of the activities that my Dad did with me every weekend that he had me was to go see a movie. I had the opportunity to see ďclassicsĒ like Young Frankenstein, Star Wars, Superman, and Raiders of the Lost Ark in the movie theaters thanks to my Dad. My obsession with comic books began at the tender age of 10 when I visited a friendís house. This friend, Sam Welch, had a HUGE stack of comic books in his room which he proudly showed off to me. To say my curiosity was piqued is a gross understatement! Sam and I sat there for hours reading his stack of comics and when I went home later that night, Sam gave me an armful of comics to keep. Thus began my foray into the comic book world.

Today Iím an avid reader of mostly fiction-youth fiction, young adult fiction, and some adult fiction. I do read many different types of genre fiction, but my favorite is fantasy. I try to read at least one book a week-with time permitting.

Iím also a huge movie buff and watch many different types of movie genre including horror-much to the chagrin of my wife! I donít watch much television, less than an hour a week and I donít have cable or a satellite dish, but I do watch about 2-3 movies a week so Iím an awesome movie trivia player!

Iím still a comic book reader/collector and I have met at comic conventions many of my favorite comic book authors and artists. Once a week I go to my local comic book shop to buy comics. I probably read about 15-20 different comic titles a month.

To view the storytelling concert performance videos, download FREE RealPlayer:
http://www.realone.com/realplayer.html

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN WRITING FROM
PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS AS STATED IN THE VIDEOS AND ALL DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2005