NAVIGATION:                  HOMEPAGE                  WELCOME                  CONCERT                  FEEDBACK

Storyteller Biography

BILLIE BAILEY

I grew up in a small town, Humble, Texas.  We are just north of Houston across the freeway from Bush Intercontinental Airport.  Before the airport was built, Humble was a very quiet town.  Everyone knew everyone.  But with the airport came more people and progress.  We have grown to a city of about 15,000 people.  Now itís rare to see the friends and neighbors you grew up with.

I came back to Humble, after graduating from college, to teach.  A good friend in high school and I had dreamed of coming back to Humble and teaching.  She moved on to better things, while I came back and taught for 23 years.  I taught friendís children, and I even taught the child of one of my former students. 

I retired two years ago and began volunteering at the local library.  It was there that I first came upon the idea of becoming a librarian.  I began my SLIS program that fall and I will graduate this December.

M.S. Candidate School of Library and Information Sciences
Denton, Texas

M.S. Degree in Education, Reading Specialist
Stephen F. Austin State University
Nacogdoches, Texas

B.S. Degree in Elementary Education
Stephen F. Austin State University
Nacogdoches, Texas

My interest in telling stories came from the exposure I had while teaching.  The librarians would have guest storytellers come, and it was always exciting listening to their enthusiasm for the art.  I also enjoyed listening to stories told by my parents and relatives at family gatherings.  They provided a rich background to our familyís history of growing up in Humble.

I used storytelling when I was teaching to help spice up the various text books.  In Social Studies, it helped to make the details come alive for the students. 

I have become very interested in strengthening my storytelling skills as a result of taking a beginning storytellerís class.  I can see many uses for it as a Childrenís Librarian.  I plan to offer my services as storyteller to my local library, which will give me lots of practice in honing my skills.

To view the storytelling concert performance videos, download FREE RealPlayer:
http://www.realone.com/realplayer.html

Hit Counter

Number of Visitors

IMAGES FROM THE CEILING TILE DIGITAL IMAGE PROJECT OF CHERI EASTWOOD. 
USED WITH PERMISSION OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER, CHERI EASTWOOD.
 © Cheri Eastwood, 2004 ē

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL AUDIO RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN WRITING FROM
PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS AS STATED IN THE VIDEOS AND ALL DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2004