NAVIGATION:                  HOMEPAGE                  WELCOME                  CONCERT                  FEEDBACK

Storyteller Biography

LAURA LIVERMORE

I grew up with my grandmother in a small village four hours away from Guadalaraja city where the main form of entertainment was to listen to old folk at night tell stories.  When I moved to the United States I was surprised to find that a lot of the stories that I had been hearing as a child were also being told in some form or another here in the United States. My husband Ron and I live in El Paso, Texas.  El Paso is where we met and it is the place where destiny has kept us for the past seventeen years. I have been teaching for fourteen years everything from pre-kinder to eleventh grade mathematics.   This coming year I will be taking on new responsibilities and turning a new page in my hectic life.  I love a challenge!

M.S. Candidate School of Library and Information Sciences
Denton, TX

M.I.S. Mathematics Education
University of Texas at El Paso
El Paso, TX

B.I. S. Elementary Mathematics Education
University of Texas at El Paso
El Paso, TX

B.S. Child Psychology
Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara
Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

I grew up listening to all sorts of storytellers.  The stories that I heard the most were Mexican folktales from long ago.  When I began teaching “reading” the story was just not enough for me… I had to tell it. When I saw the first course in a series of storytelling courses I literally jumped right on to them. 
I never expected to find such a fascinating world behind storytelling.  Dr. Figa has opened my eyes and my mind to the different venues of storytelling.  My favorite styles of stories are old English folktales.  I find those fit me the best.  I also like to adapt original stories and make them my own.  I have been doing this for fourteen years and I find it very rewarding.

To view the storytelling concert performance videos, download FREE RealPlayer:
http://www.realone.com/realplayer.html

Hit Counter

Number of Visitors

IMAGES FROM THE CEILING TILE DIGITAL IMAGE PROJECT OF CHERI EASTWOOD. 
USED WITH PERMISSION OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER, CHERI EASTWOOD.
 © Cheri Eastwood, 2004

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL AUDIO RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN WRITING FROM
PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS AS STATED IN THE VIDEOS AND ALL DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2004