NAVIGATION:                  HOMEPAGE                  WELCOME                  CONCERT                  FEEDBACK

Storyteller Biography

MARY WAGONER

Hi! My name is Mary Wagoner. Born on the island of Guam and growing up in the landlocked state of Oklahoma, I was born into a family that enjoyed traveling between cultures, generations and places. I turned onto the path of librarianship 13 years ago. I have traveled from being a page to paraprofessional Children’s Librarian to my current position as the Juvenile Assistant and the AV Specialist in the collection development department of Houston Public Library. I believe all good librarians are natural born treasure hunters, mapmakers, and guides. Some special ones are storytellers. My husband of 28 years, John, and my 15-year-old daughter, Alyssa, are at the core of who I am, what I do and where I am going; and encourage me to follow the my present course toward hope and happiness.

Graduate Academic Certificate in Youth Services in Libraries and Information Settings
University of North Texas, Denton, TX

Candidate for Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling
University of North Texas, Denton, TX

M.S. Candidate, School of Library and Information Sciences
University of North Texas, Denton, TX

B.S., Sociology
Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK

Flowing through heart and head, storytelling has traveled through several generations of my family. My grandmother was a gifted storyteller who knew hundreds of fairy tales by heart. As a child, I often sailed off to sleep after my mother recited the poetry of Robert Louis Stevenson or Eugene Field or told a fairy tale. The birth of my daughter reawakened my interest in my storytelling roots, and I relish fairy tales and family tales. The library encouraged me to tell those fairy tales; offer storytelling events and attend workshops and Tellebrations by The Houston Storytellers Guild. There are few experiences sweeter than listening to someone spin a good yarn.

Eclectic is the word that best describes me and my interests. My surroundings are filled with the artwork of my daughter and myself and my friends: Vermont and “Farm Aid” artist, Jeneane Lunn, and the Master of Chinese Watercolor in Houston, Dao Truong. I am fortunate to live in a city that is a cultural crossroads where I can meet people from all over the world and sample their music, food, art; and hear their stories.

To view the storytelling concert performance videos, download FREE RealPlayer:
http://www.realone.com/realplayer.html

Hit Counter

Number of Visitors

IMAGES FROM THE CEILING TILE DIGITAL IMAGE PROJECT OF CHERI EASTWOOD. 
USED WITH PERMISSION OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER, CHERI EASTWOOD.
 © Cheri Eastwood, 2004

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL AUDIO RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN WRITING FROM
PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS AS STATED IN THE VIDEOS AND ALL DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2004