<bgsound src="lead.mp3" loop=1>

NAVIGATION:  HOMEPAGE     INTRODUCTION     CONCERT     FUN FACTS     CONCLUSION     SURVEY

Amber Sady

Reno, NV
acs0128@unt.edu

I was born in Reno, NV, but grew up as a child of the army. It was a blessing and a curse to live in so many different states and countries growing up, and it has made me the person I am: someone who can adapt to the area and life around me without losing my sense of self. I am home now, back in Reno, with my beloved desert sagebrush and wide blue skies. I am a Youth Services Librarian at a public library, and I couldn’t love any job more!

Candidate, M.S. in Library Sciences
Candidate, Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling
Candidate, Graduate Academic Certificate in Youth Services
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
College of Information, Library Science, and Technologies

B.S. in Elementary Education, Minor in Music
University of Nevada, Reno, Nevada
Department of Education

STORYTELLING INTEREST

I have always been an avid reader, and as a child my imagination often got the better of me. I loved fairy tales best, Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, Snow-White and Rose-Red and about anything else written by the Brothers Grimm or Hans Christian Anderson. I would spend hours finding the picture books with the best illustrations, and I read them so many times I could visualize the stories in my head as I fell asleep at night. I didn’t find this passion of mine particularly useful until I started telling stories from books to children in the library, and used my visualizations to find an inner voice that I could speak through to make the characters more interesting and alive. I have been practicing putting the books down and telling stories as I saw them, not word for word, but as I saw the story flowing. This opened up a brand-new relationship with my audience, as I was able to make eye-contact and focus on their listening faces and further draw them into the story. This is a completely different way to tell stories to children, and I have found their interest is much greater when they get to use their own imaginations, rather than focus on the pictures in a book.

I have two beautiful 6-year-old identical twin boys who are the light of my life! Outside of school and work, my life revolves around them and my husband of ten years. Our family is a musical one, and my boys love to sing as much as I do. Ive been playing the trumpet from the time I started in sixth grade, and I still perform with the alumni band at the University of Nevada, Reno. My hobbies include running, swimming, biking, rock climbing, and recently, snowshoeing! I love to race in triathlons, but I have become more of a runner as I’ve gotten older. Another fun hobby of mine is that I collect big pencils to every place I travel to. I have around 80 pencils now, and I keep them in a big vase that I painted the world on.