<bgsound src="lead.mp3" loop=1>

NAVIGATION:  HOMEPAGE     INTRODUCTION     CONCERT     FUN FACTS     CONCLUSION     SURVEY

The Wild Little Gingerbread Boy from Texas

NAME OF THE STORYTELLER:

Carol Rico

TITLE OF THE STORY:

STORY SOURCE MATERIAL:

This is "Texanized" adaptation of the original story "The Gingerbread Boy," set in west Texas close to the Mexican border. After recording my version, I found the children's picture book The Gingerbread Cowboy by Janet Squires. Squires' version is also set in the West, in an undisclosed location. Her villain is also a coyote. While I did not base my version at all on Squires' book, I do want to acknowledge her book and let my audience know that the two versions are similar.

TALETYPE:

Folk Tale

STORY RATING:

General Audience

ABSTRACT/SUMMARY OF THE STORY:

A lonely old man and woman who live in West Texas long for a little boy or girl of their own. The old woman bakes up a gingerbread boy who she has dressed in cowboy boots, a jacket, and cowboy boots. The little gingerbread boy decides life is not exciting enough with the little old man and little old woman, so he runs away. The gingerbread boy encounters an armadillo, a rattlesnake, and a longhorn, who all want to eat him. The gingerbread boy outruns them all, laughing at how clever and fast he is. Soon the gingerbread boy meets a coyote who promises to carry him across the Rio Grande to safety; however, the trip is not what the gingerbread boy expects.

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN
WRITING FROM PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS. PERMISSION DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.

All images and photographs used with permission.

This Website Developed by Elizabeth Figa, Ph.D.
Logo designed by the concert Website Committee
© Elizabeth Figa, 2009