<bgsound src="lead.mp3" loop=1>

NAVIGATION:  HOMEPAGE     INTRODUCTION     CONCERT     FUN FACTS     CONCLUSION     SURVEY

Carol Rico

Houston, TX
CarolRico@my.unt.edu

I am originally from Odessa, Texas, but moved to Houston as a child. I've lived in Amman, Jordan, and Shreveport, Louisiana, before finally making my way back to Houston, where I've been for the past twenty years. I taught high school English for almost six years before I won a full scholarship from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) to obtain my MLS as a youth services librarian. For the past ten months I have been working as a Library Service Specialist for the Houston Public Library System. I absolutely love my job, especially working with the children.

Candidate, M.S. Library Science
Candidate, Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling
Candidate, Graduate Academic Certificate in Youth Services
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
College of Information, Library Science, and Technologies

B.A. English/Secondary Education
University of Houston, Houston, Texas
College of Education
Summa Cum Laude

STORYTELLING INTEREST

Although I do children's storytimes at my job, I am a novice when it comes to telling stories without a book to rely on. I do enjoy entertaining people and talking, which are two key factors storytellers need. My confidence as a storyteller is building, slowly but surely, and I look forward to telling stories in my children's programs.

One of my favorite story genres is fairy tales because it reminds me of when I was a child and my mother would read the Grimm brothers' stories to me. I would imagine I lived in those faraway places and was the heroine of the story or the beautiful princess.

Since I've been working full-time and taking courses towards my M.S., I haven't had much time for hobbies. I love doing crafts, and have dabbled in mosaics. Some of the activities I'm looking forward to getting back into once I graduate include shopping at garage sales and thrift stores to find great junk to repurpose, reading books that are not required reading, and exercising. My wish list of things I want to do some day includes taking photography classes, traveling to Australia and Spain, and playing drums in a rock 'n roll band.