<bgsound src="lead.mp3" loop=1>

NAVIGATION:  HOMEPAGE     INTRODUCTION     CONCERT     FUN FACTS     CONCLUSION     SURVEY

Jeanie Runion

Garland, Texas
runionjeanie@yahoo.com

I was born and raised in Garland, Texas, however I did stretch my legs and live in a few other places once I was grown. I lived in Austin, Texas for several years and loved the music, art, theatre, and smart hippies that abound in our state capital. I moved up to Ann Arbor, Michigan for a short time and learned the joys of shoveling snow and raking leaves. It was glorious to experience four distinct seasons. I then lived in Jersey City, New Jersey and worked in New York City, where I learned a wicked good northern accent. I also learned that you can take the girl out of Texas, but not the Texas out of the girl, so I moved back home to Garland in 2003. I am single, but love spending time with my parents, 1 brother, 2 sisters, 3 nephews, 4 nieces, and my three-year-old triplet grandniece and grandnephews. My occupation for the last twenty years has been secretary / office manager. Now I am making a great leap into the world of library science and look forward to being a youth librarian for the NEXT twenty years!

Candidate, M.S. Library Science
Candidate, Graduate Academic Certificate in Youth Services
Candidate, Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
College of Information, Library Science, and Technologies

B.A. Professional Development
Amberton University, Garland, Texas

STORYTELLING INTEREST

My whole family enjoys telling stories and jokes, so I believe storytelling is written into my DNA. I especially enjoy sharing funny personal stories, animal tales, fables, and pour quoi tales. Most of these story types share a lesson in a gentle way, which suits me to a tee. As of this semester, I have completed my coursework for a Graduate Certification in Storytelling, which I plan to put to good use doing story-times for children and seniors at the public library. I have already presented storytelling concerts for two local elementary schools, a Boy Scout troop, and a church seniors group.

I love to sing and have been fortunate enough to do so professionally for over twenty years. I have done jingles, studio recordings for Disney children's albums, musical theatre, and cabaret shows in New York. I performed with children's singer Joe Scruggs and was a member of several party/wedding bands. I even sang with a gospel choir in Dallas, which was a great thrill for me. Whistling is another favorite activity. I first learned to whistle when I was quite young and was so proud that I whistled everywhere I went. An elderly woman at church caught me by the arm and warned, "Whistling girls and crowing hens will both come to some bad end." Thankfully, I ignored her completely and kept right on whistling!

My favorite leisure activities are reading books and watching movies. I also love for people to bring me rocks when they go on vacation. Nothing store bought, just something they find on the ground and can tuck in their pocket to bring home to me. I have a rock from the base of The Great Wall of China, from castles in Scotland and Ireland and from beaches in Australia, Thailand and Iceland. I've always been a bit silly and pride myself on being willing to take somewhat ridiculous leaps of faith. One of my favorite quotes is from Laurel Thatcher Ulrich: "Well behaved women rarely make history." So, here’s to making some history!