<bgsound src="lead.mp3" loop=1>

NAVIGATION:  HOMEPAGE     INTRODUCTION     CONCERT     FUN FACTS     CONCLUSION     SURVEY

Julia K. Riley

Austin, TX
julia.k.riley@gmail.com

I am a native Texan, though I spent my formative years in upstate New York, growing up in a large, blended family of six children. These days, I am happy to again be living in Texas and sharing a home with only my significant other (as well as our three pets: Scout, a tuxedo cat; Penny, a miniature pinscher; Pilot, a basenji). I am very fortunate to develop collections and programming for youth at the Pflugerville Community Library.

Candidate, M.S. Library Science
Candidate, Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling
Candidate, Graduate Academic Certificate in Youth Services
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
College of Information, Library Science, and Technologies

B.A. Mass Communication
Texas State University, San Marcos, Texas
College of Journalism and Mass Communication

STORYTELLING INTEREST

While writing and stories have always had a place amongst my interests (I am an avid journaller), the act of storytelling does not come naturally to me. This is why I wanted to take the opportunity to study storytelling while completing my Masters degree. While my storytelling skills have improved, I have a great deal of admiration for truly good storytellers, as I now know how hard it can be.

My favorite stories to tell are those that involve animals and have the ability to make the audience chuckle.

I learned to knit during my junior year of college and have not stopped, though I am not a very fast knitter. I also enjoy embroidery and sewing.

I have recently taken up the collection of children's picture books, though working in a public library, I discover new favorites every day and find it impossible to purchase all of them.

I am currently serving as a member of the Young Adult Library Service Association's Amazing Audiobooks committee, and have found my new audiobook habit to be a compliment to the study of storytelling.