NAVIGATION:       HOMEPAGE       WELCOME       CONCERT       CONCLUSION      EXTRAS

Biography 0f the Performer

Lourdes Sanchez Stranahan

Houston, Texas

I am the product of the blending of many things:  my Catholic faith, my Cuban and Spanish heritage, my Floridian birth, my Missouri based childhood and the creation of my role as wife and mother in Texas. A hodge-podge of such variety makes me -- a real American. My professional background is in healthcare public relations where I spent time connecting people, humanizing facts and sharing knowledge with the help of the media and community groups.

EDUCATIONAL INFORMATION

M.S. Candidate School of Library and Information Science
Candidate Graduate Academic Certificate in Youth Services in Libraries
Candidate Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling                                           
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences

B.A. English Literature, Minor in Spanish
University
of Houston, Houston, TX

10 year member of Toastmasters International

My storytelling experiences begin as a listener of stories told about the homeland, faith, family, culture, politics and the past. Stories build a 90 mile bridge to Cuba transporting me to the land I have yet to see and the family I have yet to meet. As the first native born American in my family, stories connect me to the rest of my family. I am the link for the next generation. My favorite stories are those which provide a cultural or familial link. Even stories which seem far removed have an air of familiarity which draws me to them. Creating that familiarity for the members of my audience is my goal.

MISCELLANEOUS

I am grateful for the gifts that I have received and hope to continue to be a good steward of those gifts. I pray, read and write to relax and keep perspective in life. I seek out tranquil moments and enjoy going on walks with my husband, family members and friends. Swapping stories with my daughter as we do embroidery, crochet or any other artistic expression brings happiness to my heart.