NAVIGATION:       HOMEPAGE       WELCOME       CONCERT       CONCLUSION      EXTRAS

Biography of the Performer

Trina Smith

I am was born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland, and at 14 years old my parents and I moved to Louisiana, which is where their roots are and my relatives live.  I have lived in Tampa, Florida, Biloxi, Mississippi, and now, San Antonio. I am a single parent of a 13-year-old daughter, Markina.  I am also a full time Library Assistant at the Cody Branch of the San Antonio Public Library System.  I am fortunate to live directly across the street from work, and up the street from my daughter's school.

M.S. Candidate School of Library and Information Science
Candidate Graduate Academic Certificate in Youth Services in Libraries
Candidate Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling                                           
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences

Bachelor of Music Degree -- Vocal Performance
Xavier University of Louisiana -- New Orleans, Louisiana
Department of Music

My way of telling stories is through singing. Singing is what gets me through any and everything. I have been singing since I was 15 years old. There was a time in my life when I wanted to be a professional opera singer. I've performed for Pope John Paul II in Rome, and with a professional vocal ensemble in New York, St. Louis, and New Orleans.  

My storytelling skills have developed over the past few months, which my confidence level has continued to rise among the spoken word.  However, I think I will continue to tell my stories through song.

I have enjoyed all of the performances and topics in both storytelling classes, but the one that I think has been the most reflective is the coaching portion of the second class. The coaching has allowed me to reflect upon how I can improve as a storyteller.

I have enjoyed all of the classes taught by Dr. Figa and her team because they give hope and encouragement to all. You can also sense a high level of sincerity in their comments.

Two of the greatest gifts in my life are my mother and my daughter. We enjoy many activities together such as going to the movies, musicals, and our all time favorite, trying various cuisines at different restaurants. We also love to travel and shop. I have been blessed in so many ways that I can't count them all.