Phil Turner's Personal Information

Present Positions: Vice Provost for Learning Enhancement and Professor, School of Library and Information Sciences, University of North Texas.  From 1996-2004, I served as Dean of the School of Library and Information Sciences at the University of North Texas and Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs for Distance Education. From 1987 to 1996, I served as Dean of the School of Library and Information Studies at the University of Alabama, having joined SLIS in 1977. Prior to coming to Tuscaloosa, I served as a classroom teacher at Edgewood Junior High School in Merritt Island, Florida and as a School Library Media Specialist at Edison Junior High School in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I was also a co-partner in VideoGuide Productions of Denver Colorado.

From 1991 to 1996, I served as Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs-Telecommunications for the University. In this role, I managed the creation of the Intercampus Interactive Telecommunications System (IITS), a statewide network of compressed video/audio sites.

For more information on my professional life, click on vitae.

Family: I have a wife, Lis, and two daughters, Brie, and Adrienne. Lis was Systems Manager in the Library at Shelton State Community College in Tuscaloosa, served for ten years as a member of an online teaching team for Jerry Dickenson, Dedman Chair in Club Management at the School of Merchandising and Hospitality Mangement, and is currently spending as much time as she can with her new grandchildren. Brie worked in Washington, D.C. for four years and is currently in the Ph.D. Program in the School of Public Health at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.   Adrienne graduated in May of 2005 from the Texas A&M Health Sciences Medical School and is doing a Psychiatry Residency at the University of Virginia.

On April 21st, 2008, Brie gave birth to twins, Quentin Turner McGrievy and Sabine Elise McGrievy.  They are just wonderful and we enjoy spending as much time with them as we can and watching them grow.

Hobbies: I enjoy sailing and share a 19' Cape Dory with a friend of mine.  It is berthed at the Dallas Corinthian Yacht Club. Lis and I usually charter once a year with friends. In June of 1995, we circumnavigated the British Virgin Islands on a 39' catamaran, and did this again in the Summer of 1998.  I also enjoy photography and was delighted to find a darkroom in our new Denton home. We like to go with our daughters to Disney World. I have served as president of my church fellowship and began the Meals on Wheels effort. I love to work with children and have volunteered as a tutor at a public housing project. This Christmas, Lis, Adrienne, and I spent the morning helping to prepare 800 meals for distribution in the area.

During the Holiday Break in 1999, Lis, Adrienne, and I went back to Boston.  It was the second time in 30 years for me and the first time for Lis since we left in 1970 after spending the summer with her parents so that she could complete her degree.   The trip was great fun and we took some photos.

I love reading to children and recently I had an opportunity to read to a lovely young lady.

We like to ride roller coasters.  Recently, we rode one that was designed by Lis's stepbrother, Michael, at the Sahara in Las Vegas.  Who is having fun?