a Resource Description and Access (RDA) and a transitioning cataloging environment
Last updated August 15, 2016
This page started as a quick resource page for myself and anyone who wanted to stay
informed of the development of Resource Description and Access (RDA) as it moved
toward publication. Since then it has morphed to include a broader array of resources revolving around RDA and the transitioning environment of cataloging, metadata, including the increasing interest in linked data and the like. LC implemented RDA in March 2013 and also announced plans to investigate transitioning MARC21 resulting in the development of BIBFRAME. This page is not intended to be a complete list of
resources, and it is subject to change. Corrections and suggestions for additions are welcome.
In 2013 I had the pleasure of editing a special issue of Journal of Library Metadata entitled the "Functional Future of Bibliographic Control : transitioning into new communities of practice and awareness" (volume 12, issue 2-3, September 2012). Those interested can read my Introduction to the issue here. This issue was also published as a book by Routledge, 2014. ISBN 978-0-415-71602-4. (Please note, the book title is slightly different: "Functional Future for Bibliographic Control").
- RDA Toolkit (main website)
- RDA: Resources Description and Access (PRINT edition) is available from ALA Store in the Cataloging and Classification resource category
- Introducing RDA: a guide to the basic by Chris Oliver is also available from the ALA Store
- RDA Toolkit --Teaching and training resources
- ALCTS training events--numerous webinars in the RDA series
- Presentations on RDA (JSC site)
- Resource Description and Access: Background / Overview --Tillett, B.
- RDA Forum (ALA Connect)--excellent source for links
- Cataloging Principles and RDA: Resource Description and Access--Tillett, B.
- OCLC resources on RDA
- FRBR and RDA: Advances in Resource Description for Multiple Format Resources --Chris Oliver (2009); good report, very useful
- Shaping tomorrow's metadata with RDA--a Canadian Library Association (CLA) Preconference held by the Technical Services Interest Group (TSIG) on June 2, 2010; some very useful powerpoint presentations
- RDA examples by University of Chicago Catalogers
- Changes from AACR2 to RDA: a comparison of examples by Adam L. Schiff (webpage), Principal Cataloger, University of Washington Libraries REVISED Aug 2010
- Preparing School Library Media Specialists for RDA (co-presenter with Dr. Barbara Schultz-Jones)
American Association of School Librarians, 14th Annual Conference and Exhibition, Charlotte, NC, Nov. 7, 2009
IFLA Functional Requirements
FRBR Library Reference Model NEW
Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR), PDF in English of the 1997 report, as amended and corrected through February 2009
Functional Requirements for Authority Data (FRAD)--available as a pdf in English, 2008/2009 report, as amended and corrected through July 2013
Functional Requirements for Subject Authority Data (FRSAD), June 2010, available as PDF in English
FRBR Bibliography--available from IFLA
FRBR: Things you should know, but were afraid to ask --Tillett, B., Library of Congress
MARC and FRBR--Library of Congress
OCLC research on FRBR--list of projects and publications
Linked Data NEW
Just for Fun...