NAVIGATION:          HOMEPAGE          WELCOME          CONCERT          QUOTES          CONCLUSION

Creating Ripples ... Making Waves

A Storytelling Concert About Transformation:
Choices, Compromises, Consequences, and Change

BIOGRAPHY

JENNIFER DELAVERN TORKKOLA
Denton, TX
samurai.jenn@gmail.com

After living in Paris, Texas virtually all of my life, I moved to Denton, Texas to pursue my goal of being a librarian. I recently married Mika, my romantic interest from Australia. I work in the graduate computer lab at UNT and as a practicum student in the UNT Rare Book Room. When Iím not working hard for my Masters degree, Iím spending time with my husband, friends, and family.

B.S. Candidate in Library and Information Science
School of Library and Information Sciences
Denton, Texas

Since I was about 3 years old, I have had a huge interest in storytelling. I have been in many plays from the ages of 3 to 18 in both the Paris Community Theatre and my schoolís theatre program. I also played in my middle and high school bands, which I think is a perfect way to express a story (music speaks volumes). I am currently taking classes for storytelling at UNT, and plan on using these skills later in life when I work in a library.

I have only given storytelling performances for my storytelling classes at UNT, but I enjoyed doing so, and plan to make them public at a later date. My favorite stories to tell are the ďunusualĒ stories, such as Tim Burton poems and stories based on the works of author Irvine Welsh. I also love telling humorous personal stories, such as my not so normal trip to the Australia Zoo.

My love of books extends well beyond my profession, and is the main focus of my personal collections. My favorite so far is my Irvine Welsh collection. I currently have 31 books by the author, and he has only written 10 works. I even have two copies (one in Spanish and one in Russian) of my favorite novel sent to me by Mr. Welsh himself. I also collect Pearl S. Buck novels, penguins (they were even the theme of my wedding reception!), and records.

My husband has recently gotten me interested in football (or soccer as itís called over here in the States), so I frequently kick the ball around and cheer like a madwoman for my favorite teams (Go Hibernian!!). ON the complete opposite side of things, I am very into 30ís and 40ís fashion and burlesque, with burlesque queen Dita Von Teese as my fashion idol. She is from this era, but you wouldnít tell by looking at her! I am also a concert junkie, and have seen Nine Inch Nails play live four times in the space of ten months. I can even be (very) briefly seen in their new concert DVD. Other than that, I try to take it easy and enjoy my time with Mika.

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN
WRITING FROM PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS. PERMISSION DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.

All images and photographs used with permission.

This Website Developed by Elizabeth Figa, Ph.D.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2007