NAVIGATION:          HOMEPAGE          WELCOME          CONCERT          QUOTES          CONCLUSION

Creating Ripples ... Making Waves

A Storytelling Concert About Transformation:
Choices, Compromises, Consequences, and Change

BIOGRAPHY

G. JODIENE ("Jodie") FLETCHER
Dallas, TX
 jfletcher@pcstx.org

Most of my life has been lived within a 5 mile radius in Dallas, Texas though I was actually born in Chicago, Illinois and lived for a few years in both San Francisco, California and Boulder, Colorado. I am blessed to be married to the love of my life, Lane and we have a daughter Erin, and two, four-legged daughters, Sallee and Sasha.  For the past five years I have been in the field of education, with the past two years spent as librarian at a private school in Dallas.  Prior to this time I was in the legal profession, specializing in corporate securities.

M.S. Candidate in Library and Information Science
School of Library and Information Sciences
Denton, Texas

B.F.A.,  Art and Psychology with a double major

Southeastern Paralegal Institute – Corporate Securities Specialization; Board Certified

Without cognitive recognition, I have probably been telling stories all of my life.  As a young child my siblings and cousins spent most of our time creating make-believe presentation and performing these stories for anyone who was breathing and would sit still long enough.  As an adult my passion has become excellent literature, (of which not much has been written during the past 85 years) and igniting a passion for reading in this literature in children and young adults.  Discovering one of the best ways to ignite this passion in children was to weave a tale or story from a book, bringing them to a critical point in the story and then stopping abruptly, telling them to read the book in order to discover what happens.  As a result, Storytelling has now become my avocation and passion not only as a segue to creating a love of reading excellent literature, but for the sheer joy of interacting with students (or an audience) weaving a tale which gets them so completely engrossed that we become one as we reach the brink of excitement in the outcome of the story.

A lifelong passion for both my husband and I is traveling, and we have been fortunately blessed to visit many different cultures and foreign lands.  As a result I have had access to folklore and timeless tales from natives of these cultures and have collected tales from such places as Iceland and Nordic countries, as well as England, Ireland, Hungry, the Czech Republic, various Hawaiian Islands and Alaska.  We are also history buffs to some degree and enjoy researching both American and English history, from the time of Henry VIII, through the colonization of America, the American Revolution, the Civil War and both World Wars, all of which are rich with stories and legends. 

Reading is still my ultimate hobby, for when the “bank account” can’t afford us another trip, I am still able to travel to many wonderful and magnificent places, meeting many exciting people all through the world of great literary classics and excellent literature. A literary guru, Gladys Hunts stated “Books introduce us to people and places we would not ordinarily know.  A good book is a magic gateway into a wider world of wonder, beauty, delight and adventure.  Often throughout this biography I have mentioned “excellent literature” or “great literary classics.”  This is because most of the literature written today in NOT well written and is for the most part twaddle.  Jerry Hanson summed up this pervasive problem in late twentieth and twenty-first century literature in his statement, “Eighty percent of all books have been published since 1980.  Eighty percent of those would have been better off left as trees…”

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN
WRITING FROM PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS. PERMISSION DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.

All images and photographs used with permission.

This Website Developed by Elizabeth Figa, Ph.D.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2007