NAVIGATION:          HOMEPAGE          WELCOME          CONCERT          QUOTES          CONCLUSION

Creating Ripples ... Making Waves

A Storytelling Concert About Transformation:
Choices, Compromises, Consequences, and Change

BIOGRAPHY

ELIZABETH WHITE
Houston, TX
sootie4852@sbcglobal.net

I am originally from New York although I have lived in Boston, Massachusetts and have spent considerable amounts of time in Athens, Greece and Aberdeen, Scotland over the years. At present, and for the last twenty-five years, I have made my home in Houston, Texas although I will be relocating to Austin, Texas this summer. I share my life with a long-time significant other and two lovely feline children; Sootie and Peanut Ann; I also see my mother and sister on a regular basis as they are frequent visitors to Texas.

At present, I am employed as a manager for an international grocery store which always strikes me as the “library” of the grocery business; previously I spent over twenty years in the hospitality industry in almost every position you can imagine; both of my careers have allowed me to collect many stories and memories. I’m looking forward to my new career as a librarian and all the new opportunities for collecting stories and memories.

M.S. candidate in Library and Information Science
Candidate Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling and Youth Services
School of Library and Information Sciences
Denton, Texas

M. Ed Curriculum and Instruction / Art Education
College of Education
University of Houston
Houston, Texas

B.A. Art History
School of Art
University of Houston
Houston, Texas

I am fairly new to the world of storytelling; although I’ve always listened to the stories of others and collected [remembered] interesting stories; I’ve only begun “official” storytelling as part of the SLIS program; it is only through this program that I’ve come to realize that stories are all around us in day to day interactions and living; with this program I have also come to realize that I’ve been telling stories all through my life! I’m most interested in stories from the early twentieth century at present and have been focusing on these as vehicles for my own storytelling endeavors. I am also interested in the incorporation of art into storytelling through both the physical medium of artworks and the intellectual ideas presented in artworks.

I am a great collector; or, what can be termed a “pack rat;” I have collections of “Gone With the Wind” memorabilia, “Lucy” memorabilia and Wallis Simpson memorabilia; I also collect perfume bottles, paper dolls, ceramic cats of several different varieties, and Jim Tweedy’s “Charlie the Red Cat” prints. I spend most of my free time [aside from dusting my collections!] reading; I collect books in the areas of art [particularly books on John Singer Sargent], British and Russian history, paper arts, and children’s pop-up books. I also like to weld and make art with paper and PhotoShop so I have many collections of my own art pieces; both finished and in progress. Added to these collections are the beginnings of my story collection; it seems every day I hear a new story and have to write it down or purchase the book it’s contained in...It’s good that I’m moving; I need more room to spread out...and to house my ever-growing collections!

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN
WRITING FROM PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS. PERMISSION DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.

All images and photographs used with permission.

This Website Developed by Elizabeth Figa, Ph.D.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2007