NAVIGATION:          HOMEPAGE          WELCOME          CONCERT          QUOTES          CONCLUSION

Creating Ripples ... Making Waves

A Storytelling Concert About Transformation:
Choices, Compromises, Consequences, and Change

QUOTES

INSPIRATIONAL QUOTATIONS THAT MAKE A SPLASH

FOR MORE QUOTES AND OTHER RESOURCES, VISIT:
http://courses.unt.edu/efiga/STORYTELLING/StorytellingWebsites.htm

And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of heaven: that each affects the other and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one. ~Mitch Albom, The Five People You Meet in Heaven

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. ~ Nelson Mandela, A Long Walk to Freedom

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. ~Andy Warhol, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol

If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise. ~Robert Fritz

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. ~J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets

A person has three choices in life. You can swim against the tide and get exhausted, or you can tread water and let the tide sweep you away, or you can swim with the tide, and let it take you where it wants you to go. ~Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, Northern Exposure, Northern Lights

Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences. ~Midori Koto

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.  ~Anaïs Nin

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. ~Maya Angelou

I may be changed by what happens to me but I will Not be reduced by it. ~Maya Angelou

It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~George Eliot

All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. ~Edmund Burke

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. ~Leo Tolstoy

What we call 'Progress' is the exchange of one nuisance for another nuisance. ~Havelock Ellis

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. ~E. B. White

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives. ~William James

Turbulence is life force. It is opportunity. Let's love turbulence and use it for change. ~Ramsay Clark

For me, words are a form of action, capable of influencing change.  ~Ingrid Bengis

Change your thoughts and you change your world. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change. ~Andre Gide

Acceptance is not a state of passivity or inaction. I am not saying you can't change the world, right wrongs, or replace evil with good. Acceptance is, in fact, the first step to successful action. If you don't fully accept a situation precisely the way it is, you will have difficulty changing it. Moreover, if you don't fully accept the situation, you will never really know if the situation should be changed. ~Peter McWilliams, Life 101

One person can have a profound effect on another. And two people...well, two people can work miracles. They can change a whole town. They can change the world. ~Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, Northern Exposure, Cicely

Change, when it comes, cracks everything open. ~Dorothy Allison, O Magazine

I always wanted a happy ending... Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity. ~Gilda Radner

It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. ~Robert Kennedy

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong. ~Abraham Lincoln

Truth is within ourselves. ~Robert Browning

THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

THEN THEY CAME for me,
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

--Pastor Martin Niemöller
Holocaust Survivor

GO THE CONCERT NOW!

PERMISSIONS GRANTED FOR USE OF ALL MULTIMEDIA RECORDINGS.
ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTED STORIES ARE TOLD WITH PERMISSION RECEIVED IN
WRITING FROM PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS. PERMISSION DOCUMENTS ARE ON FILE IN THE
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.

All images and photographs used with permission.

This Website Developed by Elizabeth Figa, Ph.D.
© Elizabeth Figa, 2007

Music: "Aurora"
© Larry Shiver, 2007
Used with permission of the composer/performer, Larry Shiver
texas7@prodigy.net