NAVIGATION:       HOMEPAGE       WELCOME       CONCERT       CONCLUSION      EXTRAS

Biography 0f the Performer

Valerie Shelley

San Antonio, TX

Greetings from San Antonio, Texas, my hometown for 31 years.  Legally I live in Bexar County yet my mail goes to Helotes, a town just outside of San Antonio.  I am a librarian in the San Antonio School District.  My two guys, Philip (13) and Aaron (12), provide me with excitement and entertainment to fill my life with many joys and lessons.  I like sports, traveling, arts and crafts, and creative writing.  Poetry is my favorite genre for writing.

M.S. Candidate School of Library and Information Science
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences
Texas School Librarian Certification
Candidate for Graduate Academic Certificate in Youth Services in Libraries
Candidate for Graduate Academic Certificate in Storytelling

M.A. Education University of Texas, San Antonio, San Antonio
TX Mid-management Certification

B.A. Trinity University, San Antonio
TX Teaching Certifications: Deaf/Hard of Hearing, Language and/or Learning Disabilities, and Elementary Education

Graduate work at UNT sparked my storytelling interests.  Meeting the assignment requirements stretched my imagination and rekindled memories worthy of sharing.  Stories in my repertoire are poems, both original and from other poets, personal experiences and re-tellings of stories from people I know.  Historical figures and events are in my repertoire as I enjoy the research and choosing information needed for the story and audience.  Life experiences are fun and informative to share.  My favorite story is about book care.  I use a backpack with reminders of how to care for a book.  When I pull out an item I tell stories about how to care for books.

I have a creative side that has been pushed aside while I work, raise children, care for a home, etc.  That part of me wants OUT!  I have an intellectual side that has been enjoying my UNT courses and there is the nurturing side that longs to spend more, and better, time with my children.  I want to share myself, what I know, and what I learn with those I love and people who enthusiastically crave information.